**Deadline: 31st August 2016**
“How is memory stored? What defines our personalities? How can we explain something as intangible as emotion – reduce this highly sophisticated phenomenon to a list of objective scientific facts?
“What about the dreams we see every night? Are they a product of the intricate organic infrastructure we call the brain? Or does it fall in the equally complex realm of the mind?
“What is love? Is it the spontaneous shooting of a million neurons in our cortices that push us to seek companionship? Or is there some other hand at play – puppeteering us through this convoluted maze of devotion?
“Above all else, what is consciousness and freewill? Will we ever be able to comprehend it? Or will it be just another mystery, forever locked away in the tortuous gyri of our brains?”
The 19th National Health Sciences Research Symposium, dedicated to neuroscience, is scheduled for November 4-6. We invite you to participate in an essay competition based on the theme, ‘Can the brain understand the brain?’ Students of medicine, nursing, dentistry, psychology or other allied health fields as well graduates of these fields are eligible.
The winning article will be published in Pakistan Journal of Neurological Sciences. Cash prizes will also be given!
• The essay may be scholarly, philosophical, scientific and/or literary; the topic is open to interpretation
• Entries are required to be in English
• Essays will be judged on fluency, originality, imagination, style and relevance to the study of the brain and/or mind.
• Word limit is 1000 words
• Only one essay per participant
• Send your essay with Author Information at ‘Student Corner’ at www.aku.edu/nhsrs
For any further queries feel free to email us at email@example.com
Organizers: Umme Hani Abdullah, Mirza Zain Baig, Fajar Raza, Marium Nadeem, Waqaas Akmal, Alizeh Abbas